Education in India is evolving and changing. Teachers are imbibing new ideas and strategies to impact student learning. It’s time for librarians to evolve, change and grow. With a growth mindset for change and desire to be relevant, there are 5 skills for librarians to learn and build upon:
1. Learn a new tech tool or skill to help all learners, both adults, and students
2. Skill to curate, evaluate and use information ethically
3. Skill to decipher fake news from real news
4. Skill to critically evaluate media
5. Skill to create flexible schedules and lessons to support relevant information and learning in a digital world to all
Libraries are meant to be the center of learning and not a storehouse of books. Librarians are no more ‘keeper of books’ but supporters of learners. In this digital age, learning goes beyond the textbooks. Learners use the internet, youtube, and social media to learn about their hobbies, their interests, their queries and for entertainment. So, in today’s times and more than any other time that librarians need not only talk about change and read about the modern changes happening around the world, and take an active part in upskilling their role and positively impact learners.