Recently, I read in the local newspaper in Mumbai, that the latest key education trends to watch out for in 2019 are:
- The growth of integrated learning solutions: that is integrating technology with teaching content
- Adoption of formative assessment solutions: we know that the assessment of rote learning is not going to help our present generation of students
- Learning through regional languages: using bilingual mode of teaching and learning
- Increased demand for professional development for all educators: having a growth mindset and learning the craft of teaching and learning with new and updated teaching-learning strategies the and pedagogy.
Recently, I learned that many International schools are looking at adopting reading and writing programs and are moving away from the textbook. Some are adopting a dual program – text book + a reading program. This in my perspective, is a great opportunity for teachers to build on their craft of teaching English.
Learning A-Z is a great resource, well known in the International circuit and is used in over 140 countries, thus validating and supporting accreditation in schools. The research and awards received by the program, shows that the content is vetted both qualitatively and quantitatively leveraging good reading and writing practices, thus moving away from ROTE LEARNING to develop DEEP LITERACY SKILLS for critical thinking.
In my opinion, Learning A-Z supports all of the above. It teaches teachers how to teach reading and writing involving skills and strategies of the 21st century like analyzing character, analyzing plots, analyzing settings, understanding author’s purpose of entertainment, information, and persuasion, cause & effect, identifying points of view, making inferences and drawing conferences, problem solution, understanding different genres, sequence of events and more. All resources books are available in a blended format – both print and digital.
This program offers students direct and explicit instruction on key comprehension skills with the Comprehension Skill Packs. Each lesson plan follows the teaching, practice, and apply an instructional approach to support students as they build meaning from texts. It includes guided reading books (leveled), worksheets, professional development lesson plans, visual devices, graphic organizers and all the necessary documents for teaching – thus saving lots of google search time.
A blended program that offers the students an opportunity to read at their reading level, complete a quiz on their device. The results of the quiz can help teachers identify areas of teaching and support student learning.
The Writing A-Z delivers online writing lessons, resources, and tools to meet the needs of every student, at every learning level for Elementary and Middle School Years.
- Lessons and resources to teach writing
- Interactive online writing tools for students
- Online reporting to track progress and growth
You can get your free trial here for 14 days and also download their samples and check them out. I am sure this program will benefit your students and enhance your teaching practice.